[imp] Downloading an attachment

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Mar 13 06:53:16 PST 2006

On 12.03.06 15:02, Christian Mimberg wrote:
> when i try to download a ca. 4,5 mb attachment, i get the following error:
>
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 6569883 bytes) in
> /is/htdocs/www.my-domain.de/horde/imp/lib/MIME/Contents.php on line 173
>
> I don´t unterstand this error message. I think 16777216 is greater than
> 6569883.

yes, but PHP was already using some memory, and when it tried to allocate
6569883, the result was bigger than 16777216.

Horde/IMP, when encoding and decoding MIME messages, is a memory hog. I had
to allow PHP use 50MB of memory to work with 10MB mails (~7.5 MB
attachments). And it might be even more. For 4.5 MB attachment, 30MB could
be enough.

If we'd have a better way (e.g. binary PHP module for working with MIME and
supported by Horde/Imp), I'd be VERY glad (and it would be also faster from
the CPU's point of view).