[imp] identities

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Sun May 21 04:47:18 PDT 2006

Quoting Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:

>> >Pardon, who expands ~/.mail_aliases? The imap server or horde/imp?
>> >
>> >I've searched both for string "mail_aliases", but found nothing. Maybe it's
>> >FreeBSD(or whatever)-specific function that uses external library to get
>> >the
>> >list of mail addresses from the ~/.mail_aliases file...
>> >
>> >Also, looking at the dot.mail_aliases file, this seems to be kinda personal
>> >addressbook of users used to send mail TO OTHER users. It is not list of
>> >their own addresses. We wanted to choose the From: address from predefined
>> >by admin, not choose To:/Cc: address.
>> >
>> >However, either option is not applicable by us. Our users are virtual, do
>> >not have home directories nor ~/.mail_aliases file, and we use courier so I
>> >doubt anyone else than courierd does know what addresses belong to users.
>
> On 18.05.06 02:01, Chris H. wrote:
>> I thought I already responded to this. But perhaps not. In any event. In the
>> situation I was describing, with an IMAP+sendnmail combination, this works
>> as described. As the user(s) have local account(s) and authenticating
>> against
>> IMAP+sendmail causes the contents of the file to be parsed and the aliases
>> contained therein to be expanded and available in the dropdown list in IMP.
>> This isn't specifically a FreeBSD-ism either. Though I have no doubt that
>> nothing remotely similar exists on Windows.
>> Anyway, I just hoped to clarify my earlier response.
>
> You still haven't answered my first question  :)

The answer (to me anyway) seemed implied. ;)
But I'll (re)answer. ;)
What I'm tried to say; is that since authentication (in my case) is
done through IMAP (not IMP/Horde). That IMP/ Horde poll IMAP for user(s)
credentials. It would appear from my given experience with IMP providing
the correct user email addresses and aliases, that IMP is capable of
garnering this info. This, of course is a case where the users all have
local accounts on the same box that IMP/ Horde are installed and running.
I hope I was clearer this time. :)

> Does that mean that IMP parses ~/.mail_aliases in user's home directory to
> create drop-down menu? Or is it some other horde application (addressbook?)
> who does this?
>
> I strongly doubt it's IMAP server, I don't know about any way how could IMAP
> server tell user what aliases are available (it's not imap server's job)

Please see above, and let's think about this last statement for a momment...
Let's say you are *not* using IMP, but rather, Thunderbird, or some other
mail client that gathers your email from an IMAP based (capable) mail server.
How on earth will this email client gather mail from the IMAP mail server?
Does the mail client phone ahead to let the administrator know in advance
that they will be picking up their email at a predetermined time? Doubtful.
It can, in fact authenticate against the IMAP server and it can do it in many
protocols. It can (and in many cases *must*) authenticate against the SMPTd
(sendmail, etc...) as well/ in addition to.

Best wishes to you.

--Chris H.