[imp] (Newb) Horde/IMP resource hungry?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jun 26 08:12:51 PDT 2006

Quoting SimonMartin <lists at mail-lists.co.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> Hope this question isn't OT...
>
> Ippimail is considering switching from Squirrelmail to IMP.
>
> When I mentioned this in passing to an admin at a US university, he
> said something like: "Oh really? We made the opposite switch because
> Horde/IMP was so resource hungry. Mind you, that was a couple of years
> ago..."
>
> Can you guys comment on this? Have improvements been made in this area?

IMP HEAD contains a boatload of performance improvements.  These include:
1. (Optional) message caching.
2. Mailbox list caching. (Between these 2 improvements, IMAP traffic
with typical IMP usage - based on some simplistic benchmarks - has
been reduced by 1000% as compared to IMP 4.1.x)
3. Improved caching of folder lists
4. Better handling of IMAP connections.
5. General tweaks and algoritihim improvements that come with a
maturing codebase.

michael