[imp] smtphost in servers.php not overriding mailer in Horde's conf.php?

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Mon Aug 28 21:03:20 PDT 2006

Chuck,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 11:21:00PM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Jan spends a ton of time helping people, fixing bugs, doing
> maintenance, and otherwise simply making this project work. Telling us
> that we are free to ignore you is disingenuous - that's just a
> different thing that you - sure, not you, but someone - will complain
> about. And Jan's point is valid even if you don't like its tone. If
> there wasn't a ticket or a line in the changelog, then you're asking
> us to support a version that has been superceded by minor bugfix
> releases. Not going to happen for free, but you're welcome to hire
> someone to do it.

I was under the impression that the IMP mailing list is a user forum,
not a place to report bugs to the Horde developers (there's another
facility for this, which I have used in the past). I didn't expect any
of the developers to provide much input, even less fix a bug on that
old version if there's one, because in the world of open-source,
developers usually aren't much interested in helping users sticking to
old versions. I know this and I accept it (I have developed
open-source code too). I'd consider hiring if I could, but I can't.
However there's also the rest of us, providing mutual support to each
other. I've tried to contribute to this on occasion, although I am
certainly not one of the major contributors to the list. In that
particular case I was hoping to see someone coming up saying "I've
been bitten by this too, here's the story". That's the whole point of
having mailing lists IMHO. I don't accept the aggressive reply I've
got.

> >wish to stay at that version because it seems to offer the most
> >stability at this time. I might be wrong on this, but that's my choice
> >and I'm entitled to make it. I'm sure there are other readers of this
> >mailing list in the same situation. If that's a sacrilege, so be it.
>
> Of course it's not sacrilege. It's a perfectly valid opinion that is
> never going to change anything - because you're not submitting tickets
> or patches to help us improve.

Correct. But I have no choice at this time. Having people working in
real production environments with high reliability requirements in the
price to pay when an application becomes as popular due to its high
quality as Horde is. These people can't afford beeing too close to the
bleeding edge. I pay the price for this too, backporting security
patches by myself.

_Alain_