[imp] problem with pear channel-discover

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Tue Sep 5 19:22:38 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 07:05:52PM -0700, Michael Ryerse wrote:
> Hi, thank you.  Sorry I didn't clarify more than I did.  This is the
> part I am concerned about:
> "Command 'pear.horde.org' is not valid, try 'pear help'"

Well the other one was worth fixing too anyway.

> I tried what you recommended, this is what I get:
>
> [root at ryerse ~]# pear -v channel-discover pear.horde.org
> Command 'pear.horde.org' is not valid, try 'pear help'
> [root at ryerse ~]#

No debug output at all... doesn't show any debug output on my box
either, so debug seems useless for that particular command (even -vvv
didn't show anything)

> I don't understand why it thinks that pear.horde.org is a command and
> not an argument.

Neither do I at this time :-(

>  Any other suggestions?

Well, apart from making sure what 'pear' command gets executed here
(like when having multiple installations of PHP, leftovers in /usr/local or
whatever) not much...
Oh wait... 'pear' is a shell script, a wrapper to php, so invoking it with

/bin/sh -x /usr/bin/pear channel-discover pear.horde.org

will at least show you the exact invocation of the php command with
its parameters. On my machine (Trustix 2.2) it comes out as:

+ exec /usr/bin/php -C -q -d include_path=/usr/lib/php -d output_buffering=1 -d open_basedir= -d safe_mode=0 /usr/lib/php/pearcmd.php channel-discover pear.horde.org

Could it be that the arguments passed to pearcmd.php get mangled for
some reason on your machine? are all the paths what you expect them to be?

Greets,
_Alain_