[imp] feedback re: creating message attachments

Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd spiro at knossos.net.nz
Thu May 22 21:08:00 UTC 2008

> I might argue that the former "Attach" / "Update attachment
> information" combination was clearer for users.  I've attached a
> message from one of our users..

I hadn't noticed this before, but upon looking at it I've decided a few
things:

The first is that someone having gone through the process of clicking on
"Attachments" and having the attachments panel open up below should be
able to figure out what the "Update" button does.

Yes, Update is a stupid label for the button, but it's not like you're
inundated with choices of buttons. You select a file and click on the
button next to it. It could say Soup for all its relevance.

I believe that this user of yours in particular is making a mountain out
of a speck of dust.

However, if the Imp developers really want an update button, then I
believe they should add some logic behind it so that when the attachment
field is empty, the button reads "Upload" or "Attach", and when the
field is populated by a previously uploaded file, then the button should
change to read "Update".

here is the pseudo code to explain better:

if ( not exist attachment[0].file )
	button[0].label = "Attach"
else
	button[0].label = "Update"

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz