[imp] proposed changes to imp compose UI

Matthew Dunham matthew.dunham at ic.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 10 01:11:53 UTC 2008

Many of my customers were confused by the IMP attachment handling so
I've done some UI revisions to the message composition screen.

In the current UI, the attachment "button" in compose options doesn't
take any obvious action -- my end users were expecting a popup like the
"address book" or "special characters" options. And the esoteric
attachment options (e.g. "attachment" vs "inline" disposition and
attachment description) are confusing to users who have come from other
webmail services.

I simplified this by removing attachment button, relocating the message
attachment section just above the message body, and removing the
extraneous options to keep the UI clean. Also, I changed the units of
Max Attachment Size to MB -- bytes didn't make a lotta sense here. I've
got a screenshot of the changes here:

   http://ic.ucsb.edu/~matthewdunham/misc/compose_screenshot.png

If these are acceptable I'd love to see them integrated into the trunk.
I've included patches (to 4.3), but these could maybe use a bit of
review to ensure they're properly Horde-ified.