[imp] Issues with html message composition/reception

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jun 24 04:19:11 UTC 2009

Quoting tom burkart <imp at aussec.com>:

> Hi all,
> I have noticed that when html compostion (horde-webmail >= 1.2.2,
> with and without stationery) is used for a message using either
> FCKeditor or xinha, neither the html start (<html>) nor the end
> (</html>) tag is added in the composition.  If I add them manually
> in "source" mode, they will get stripped out by either editor.  I
> suspect, it would be a good idea to have these tags for
> compatibility reasons.

This is a limitation of xinha/fckeditor.  If you want a syntactically
correct message to be generated, you should install the PHP tidy
module which will properly fix the formatting of the outgoing message.

> An issue occurs when the above message is received by another imp
> (horde-webmail >= 1.2.2).  What appears to happen is that horde does
> not recognise that it is "text/html" despite the fact that it is
> correctly
> stated in the Content-Type header.  It claims that it is
> "multipart/alternative" in the description, but when it is downloaded
> to the browser it comes as "multipart/related" which the browser does
> not know how to handle.

I have never see this.

> It also does not "see" the text-only version of the message that is
> prepended to it and claims that: "There are no parts that can be
> displayed inline".
> The message gets displayed correctly in horde-webmail 1.0.6 (IMP 4.1.6)

I don't experience this.  Almost sounds like inline display of either
multipart/alternative or multipart/related has been disabled in
mime_drivers.php.

michael