[imp] IMP very slow on Centos 5

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Tue Sep 29 10:33:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 14:58 -0700, Wayne Catterton wrote:
> I've been searching and trying many suggestions made on IMP being slow.
> Let me give you my details first:
> Centos 5
> Postfix
> Dovecot
> Apache 2.2.3
> php 5.1.6
> Horde-Webmail-1.2.4
> Squirrelmail
> postfixadmin
> dspam
> I have all the requirements installed for php extensions, php-imap, etc.
> everything in horde-webmail is working, but the login is very slow, maybe
> 5-10 seconds, and anything to do with mail is slow, about the same
> response as the login.   I have it setup to use imap/notls, and I set
> Horde authentication to IMAP as well.

I'm running recent Horde/IMP/Turba/Ingo on CentOS5 and perforance seems
pretty good [backed by the awesome Cyrus IMAPd, but on a separate host].
My PHP is php-5.2.9-2.el5.art;  the default CentOS5 PHP had numerous
issues.

We use the atomic repository for PHP packages -
[atomic]
name = CentOS / Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever -
atomicrocketturtle.com
mirrorlist =
http://www.atomicorp.com/mirrorlist/atomic/centos-5-$basearch
#mirrorlist =
http://www.atomicorp.com/channels/atomic/centos/5/mirrors-atomic
enabled = 1
priority = 1
protect = 0
gpgkey = file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY.art.txt
gpgcheck = 1

Also enabling APC can help with performance.
OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @
<http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/whitemice/wmogag/file_view>