[imp] login slowness with large inboxes after upgrade from Horde 3.0.10+IMP 4.0.4 to Horde 3.3.8 + IMP 4.3.7

Joe Besko jbesko at msu.edu
Wed Nov 3 12:26:49 UTC 2010

Quoting Jose Manuel Blanco <jmblanco at sciops.esa.int>:

> Hi again
>
> Thanks for your help. I had already tried changing all this
> performance killers such us image preview, sorting, cache (this
> actually improved the behaviour for users with less than 10000 mails
> in the inbox) etc, but nothing worked . What I'd like to know is if
> the old version just retrieved a few headers from the IMAP server at
> logon -for example, the latest ones-, while the new one tries to
> retrieve all of them. As I mentioned in my original mail, that is
> the only explanation I can conceive for the old one to be so fast
> (takes less that 2 seconds to login for the first time and show 20
> messages in the first screen, even if the user has more than 40000
> mails in the inbox). Again, if that is so and can be configured in
> the same way for the new version, it would really help us.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jose Manuel

Do your users user the blacklist/whitelist?  Are you using filters?

We noticed users using their blacklists to block spam or inadvertently
clicking on "blacklist" instead of "delete."  This was causing the
exact same problem you described.  We have moved the
blacklist/whitelist function to mail delivery time instead of at mail
reading time and that has eased our problem significantly.

--

Joe Besko                      Phone:        517.432.5335
Systems Programmer             Fax:          517.353.9847