[imp] Controlling the reply in IMP 5

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Aug 18 19:09:24 UTC 2011

Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:

> I've just joined the list.  Looking for way to control sender replies in IMP.
> Like Nick from a couple of days ago, our users (and helpdesk) are asking
> for a way to make the default reply to sender only or always chosen.
>
> While Michael Slusarz's reply is probably correct for many end users,
> it isn't desired from a management point of view.  You assume the
> user is intelligent and observant.  We are talking about people who
> respond to phishing emails.  Don't assume too much of the user!

So how is locking someone into the opposite behavior also NOT assuming
too much of the user?  It's exactly the same, just with a different
default behavior.

Thus, the question becomes what is the proper default behavior.  I've
given the reasoning why we choose Reply to All.  I have yet to see a
single valid argument as to why Reply to Sender should be the default.

Another example: a message from a mailing list.  This is essentially
the same as a message sent to a bunch of recipients.  And there is
absolutely NO way you can tell me that the correct default behavior
would EVER be to send a reply directly (and ONLY) to the recipient.
As the original message sender, I am expecting (demanding) that
message sender, would find it horrifying that an admin could indeed
set this to be the default action.

> People do reply to all and think they are writing to the sender only.
> Yes, even with Ph. Ds people can do this.  Sometimes it is humorous,
> and other times it is damaging.  We would like to have it err on less
> rather than more.

This is precisely why there is a large, (hopefully) instantly
noticeable notification on the compose screen that clearly indicates
you are responding to ALL recipients.  And provides you with the
option to easily alter this decision.

> Another option is to return to the way reply button worked in IMP 4.
> It produced
> a mouseover activated pop up for Reply to Sender or Reply to All, so
> you were engaged in making that choice, not falling on an unseen default.

This has never existed in the dynamic view.  This existed only in the
standard view (and continues to exist in the standard view).

If you are saying that the current UI is not clear enough in
presenting these selections, we are always open to suggestions.

michael