[imp] Controlling the reply in IMP 5

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Thu Aug 18 19:37:50 UTC 2011

> Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
>> I've just joined the list.  Looking for way to control sender
>> replies in IMP.
>> Like Nick from a couple of days ago, our users (and helpdesk) are asking
>> for a way to make the default reply to sender only or always chosen.
>>
>> While Michael Slusarz's reply is probably correct for many end users,
>> it isn't desired from a management point of view.  You assume the
>> user is intelligent and observant.  We are talking about people who
>> respond to phishing emails.  Don't assume too much of the user!
>
> So how is locking someone into the opposite behavior also NOT
> assuming too much of the user?  It's exactly the same, just with a
> different default behavior.
>
> Thus, the question becomes what is the proper default behavior.
> I've given the reasoning why we choose Reply to All.  I have yet to
> see a single valid argument as to why Reply to Sender should be the
> default.

The primary reasoning lies in the fact the button is labeled "Reply", which
in all other email programs means "reply to sender".  If you're going
to default
the "Reply" button to "Reply to All", then it should be labeled as such.

> If you are saying that the current UI is not clear enough in
> presenting these selections, we are always open to suggestions.

As I said in my other message to the list, there should be two buttons:
Reply and Reply to All.  Both buttons can have the drop down list with
the other options, I suppose.  But, Reply = Reply to Sender in Outlook,
hence the confusion.