[imp] IMP with dynamic is surprising users with how far delete goes

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:08:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting francis picabia <fpicabia at gmail.com>:
>
>> At our site, we've had dynamic mail with IMP active for roughly 3 weeks.
>>
>> Today we have our second user to restore from backup after a user
>> "accidentally" deletes all of their email.  I had difficulty
>> understanding this until the second occurrence.
>>
>> In traditional mode, the email is displayed in pages. This is like
>> many online email services at hotmail, google mail, etc.
>>
>> Users are accustomed to selecting the upper check box to select
>> everything on the page (all viewable on the screen).  They select
>> delete, thinking it is only the messages they see at the time.  In
>> reality, it selected everything in their mailbox. They purged,
>> thinking it was only the messages in front of their eyeballs being
>> purged.  Of course, it deleted and purged everything in their mailbox.
>
> You're kidding me, right?  The dynamic view is exactly how every other UI
> handles a select all.  The traditional view is hamstrung by PHP/page
> architecture and it is the UI that is wrong.
>
> Regardless, the answer is easy.  Use a trash mailbox.

It is no joke, there really are two users who deleted all their email.
 I'd assume they were more accustomed to the paged view in
traditional, also used in free webmail interfaces.  It is rather
alarming if you don't think this is a serious issue.

We had used a trash in the past with cyrus and imp 3, and people would
fill up their quota with deleted mail they didn't know was there.

How do I enable the trash?  Is this the same as Virtual Trash? I found
a checkbox to "Automatically create special mailboxes" in a UI part of
config and turned this on.  Deleted messages are not copied into my
trash.

Also, does it have a way to automatically delete from trash after XX
number of days?