[imp] imp Digest, Vol 3212, Issue 1

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Nov 29 19:54:39 UTC 2012

>> Quoting Jens-Uwe Mozdzen <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:
>>
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> Zitat von imp-request at lists.horde.org:

>>> Yes, but that's totally out of the scope of both Horde and this
>>> discussion: There is a spam action wanted by the user - moving the
>>> message to the declared spam folder. Unless the admin sets
>>> "$conf['spam']['reporting'] = true;", the user won't have any ui
>>> option of marking the message as spam.
>>
>> This logic is incorrect.  A user's primary goal when marking spam
>> is to cause it to be analyzed by some system so that an identical
>> message (or a message like it) is blocked in the future.
>>
>> Defaulting spam reporting to simply moving a message to another
>> mailbox is nothing more than a "delete" action.  Which we already
>> have.
>
> I have a shared spam folder set up; any message moved there gets
> scanned by a central SpamAssassin program. So I disagree that this
> is equivalent to a delete action - what the user means is report
> spam, and they shouldn't necessarily have to worry about which
> folder, doing the move/delete, etc.

But you had to do something proactively outside of the setup of Horde
to get this to work.  So you have verified that this setup does,
indeed, work and that you want to use it.

If an admin is comfortable with providing a feature that admittedly
does NO spam reporting by default, that should be their decision and
they can configure to do this.  But this in no way should be the
default.  And that's what the OP was asking for.

Could we make it more clear on how to enable only a move-to-mailbox
action?  Sure.  That's why I asked for improvements on how to make
conf.xml better.  But that doesn't change the fact that the default
action for spam reporting should be a no-op.

michael