[imp] [horde] line breaks?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 30 19:17:43 UTC 2013

Quoting Jens-Uwe Mozdzen <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:

> I'll take this back to the list if you want.

Yes... I will move to the list.

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>> [...]
>> Still a bit confused by what you mean.  If it is:
>>
>> - sending MUA: NEVER add artificial line-wraps
>> - receiving MUA: maybe wrap on display
>>
>> then we are on the same page.
>
> we completely agree on that's how it should be. What lead to my
> original comment on the list (and has just happened to me again) is
> that I experience that Horde as the "sending MUA" inserts line breaks!
>
> I prepared a mail template today, explicitly without extra line breaks:
>
> --- cut here ---
> Sehr geehrter Benutzer,
>
> in einigen Tagen verliert das bisherige Zertifikat (jenes für den
> Bugzilla-Zugriff) seine Gültigkeit, daher haben wir ein neues
> Zertifikat erstellt. Es kann es ab sofort benutzt werden.
>
> Die für den Firefox nötige "PKCS #12"-Datei (ein Kombi-Container für
> Zertifikat und "private key") kann selbst (unter Linux) mit Hilfe des
> Programmes "openssl" erstellt werden:
> --- cut here ---
>
> So basically, two paragraphs with long lines. (If this gets wrapped
> somewhere between me typing and you reading the above: There are
> *no* extra line breaks in "in einigen Tagen[...]benutzt werden." nor
> in "Die für [...] erstellt werden:")
>
> I stored the template and then, again in IMP, clicked on the
> template in the "templates" folder and selected "use template". What
> happened was that the (unfinshed) e-mail that opened in the IMP
> editor immediately had extra line breaks inserted:
>
> --- cut here ---
> Sehr geehrter Benutzer,
>
> in einigen Tagen verliert das bisherige Zertifikat (jenes für den
> Bugzilla-Zugriff) seine Gültigkeit, daher haben wir ein neues
> Zertifikat erstellt. Es kann es ab sofort benutzt werden.
>
> Die für den Firefox nötige "PKCS #12"-Datei (ein Kombi-Container für
> Zertifikat und "private key") kann selbst (unter Linux) mit Hilfe des
> Programmes "openssl" erstellt werden:
> --- cut here ---

I don't see this.  When I create a new message from a template (or
save the unwrapped text as a draft and then resume), I don't see any
linebreaks.  Which is the expected behavior.  If you are seeing
linebreaks in resumed text that isn't reply text, then your
installation is acting differently from mine.

> A look at the backend storage (IMAP server from Kolanb environment)
> showed that the line breaks are already in the template and not
> inserted by opening the template as a new email:
>
> --- cut here: template as stored as a file in the Cyrus IMAP server ---
> Sehr geehrter Benutzer,
>
> in einigen Tagen verliert das bisherige Zertifikat (jenes f=C3=BCr den
> Bugzilla-Zugriff) seine G=C3=BCltigkeit, daher haben wir ein neues
> Zertifikat erstellt. Es kann es ab sofort benutzt werden.
>
> Die f=C3=BCr den Firefox n=C3=B6tige "PKCS #12"-Datei (ein Kombi-Container =
> f=C3=BCr
> Zertifikat und "private key") kann selbst (unter Linux) mit Hilfe des
> Programmes "openssl" erstellt werden:
> --- cut here ---

This is correct storage.  Text in email messages SHOULD be wrapped
(data *storage*) at 78 characters.  To do this, we save the message as
as flowed text (RFC 3676).  Flowed text, however, retains the wrapping
of the original message data (data *content*).

When we resume, we just undo the flowed storage and end up with the
original, unwrapped text.  This is what I see.

You are describing the behavior an MUA that doesn't understand flowed
text so it falls back to thinking there is a hard line break after
every line, since this is what the data looks like in the message text
when the flowed formatting is ignored.

The question becomes why your installation is acting differently.  I
can point you to imp/lib/Compose.php - the _getMessageText() method -
where we un-flow the data to present to the user in the compose UI.
You will need to track the code in there to see why the flowed text
conversion, handled by the Horde_Text_Flowed object, isn't working
properly on your machine.

michael