[imp] Signature

Brendan Oakley gentux2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:43:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Brendan Oakley wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> Or do the search yourself:
>>
>> http://www.horde.org/community/mail/
>>
>> I can also almost guarantee if you search for my name and "signature" and
>> either "stupid" or "dumb" or "signatures in the compose body is the most
>> idiotic UI decision we ever made and thank god we have fixed it" you will
>> get some useful search results will reams of unchallenged discussion on why
>> the old method was terrible.
>
> I went to this mailing list page and did a search for "slusarz
> signature stupid idiotic" and got 1 result, which is a long series of
> lots of unrelated threads from 2011. Incidentally, searching for
> "signature" in the mailing list is pointless, because apparently some
> signatures are appended as attachments with signature in the name.

Reading through about half of the most active discussion in that
result, another debate remarkably similar in tenor to this one, but
regarding how a user is to experience Reply-All vs. Reply, there is a
suggestion to do a google search for "reply all horror stories." I
find this ironic in this context of effective searching for correct
answers, because that search does indeed find many relevant results,
all of which demonstrate conclusively the correct answer, which was
being dogmatically defined as wrong, stupid, and idiotic.

I am seeing a pattern in these discussions. I don't want to point
fingers, but I would respectfully and gently suggest that the current
approach to answering questions and comments be reconsidered. There
are two sides to every story, and development theory and the real
world can sometimes be at odds. That requires thoughtful
reconciliation, not just dismissal. The purpose of this software is
live deployment for broad user consumption, after all, isn't it?

Thanks
Brendan