[imp] Feature Request - selectable email addresses and add to existing contact.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Oct 30 20:57:45 UTC 2013

Quoting azurIt <azurit at pobox.sk>:

>> Od: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> Komu: <imp at lists.horde.org>
>> Dátum: 30.10.2013 21:18
>> Predmet: Re: [imp] Feature Request - selectable email addresses and
>> add to existing contact.
>>
>> Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> When one clicks on an email address in imp, one is offered the choice
>>> of new message or adding to contacts.  The email address is shown but
>>> is not selectable - meaning the only way to copy an email address of a
>>> message you receive is to select the new message choice and copy it
>>> from there and then close the newly opened window - altogether that's
>>> a suboptimal user experience and more clicks than is necessary.
>>
>> Patch?  This is difficult to accomplish because clicking in a context
>> menu box immediately causes the box to close normally.
>>
>>> Would it not be possible to either:
>>> - be able to double click to select the email address (leaving the
>>> click and hold for the current menu drop-down)?  Or
>>> - be able to select the email address that is shown?
>>
>> No.  See above.  Also, browser restrictions prevent having a button or
>> something similar from transferring data to the local clipboard, so
>> that's not an option.
>

> I'm having the same problem - i just need to copy senders address
> quite often. Everytime i need to display the source or click 'Reply'
> to copy e-mail address - it's REALLY annoying! I suggest two more
>  - display also e-mail address when viewing a message, normal or
> preview (better make it configurable: name / address / name + address)
>  - add additional option to context menu, something like 'Copy
> e-mail address' which will copy e-mail address into clipboard
> (something similar to firefox's e-mail address context menu)
>
> I really need to resolve this somehow or i will go crazy :( Michael,
> do you really never need to copy e-mail address?

Honest answer: No.  I don't believe I have ever needed this in IMP.

That doesn't mean I don't see the usefulness of this.  But I'm busy
with other projects right now, so as always "patch and/or funding"
will get this done quicker if this is necessary for you.  (Again, this
might not be an easy fix - since it can't break behavior for all other
context-menu actions).  Otherwise, this isn't really on my radar right
now.

michael