[imp] imp usability questions

John H. Bennett III bennettj at thebennetthome.com
Fri Dec 27 18:44:46 UTC 2013

Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

> On 27 Dec 2013 18:59, "John H. Bennett III" <bennettj at thebennetthome.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After spending some time using the latest stable version of imp, I have
> two usability questions to better improve my user experience.
>>
>> 1. Is there an easy way to change the layout of the imp main screen?  I'm
> talking about the From, Subject, Date, and size layout.  Often times, from
> my experience, and feedback to me, the from field isn't long enough to
> display who the mail was sent from.  You see the partial from info, then
> the ... appended to the end?  I hate to ask, but is it possible to
> implement some sort of dynamic column adjustment?  Yeah, that question
> doesn't make sense.  What I'm trying to ask is for the ability to have a
> sliding column adjustment that one could use to lengthen or shorten the
> column fields to their liking?  This is what can be done on most client
> email apps, and not sure it's doable with the web-based email app.
>
> This should be technologically possible from what I've seen.  I'm not a
> horde developer though. From experience if it's important to you you might
> need to sponsor it.
>
>> 2. The select all checkbox now seems to me to be an unusable
> feature/function.  If I choose select all, I only want to delete all the
> messages on that page, not every single message in the mailbox.  This has
> been an issue with others that I've had using imp.  I tell them to not use
> this unless they have initiated a search of their mailbox in which they
> know they want to delete all messages returned in the search.  I'm I off
> base here, and if so, please let me know how I should convey the usage of
> this.
>
> But this behaviour mimics CTRL-A in Outlook.. i.e.if you select all and
> delete, it deletes all messages selected, not just the visible ones.
> Personally I'd be upset if this behaviour changed.  It was the best thing
> about moving to the dynamic interface from horde 3 to horde 4!
>
> Simon

The CTRL-A feature is not what I'm looking for.  I'm looking to only
delete a page of messages, as you could previously do in the basic
mode, when using the select all button.  I'll just make sure I convey
selecting the first message, then using shift, and select the last
message.  That works fine.

John