[imp] Some of our users are loosing their mails.

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Thu Feb 20 10:04:20 UTC 2014

  ----- Message from Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> ---------
   Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:27:30 +0100
   From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
Subject: Re: [imp] Some of our users are loosing their mails.
     To: imp at lists.horde.org

> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>
>> ----- Message from Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> ---------
>>    Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 00:03:48 -0700
>>    From: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> Subject: Re: [imp] Some of our users are loosing their mails.
>>      To: imp at lists.horde.org

>> that

>> box

>>> At some point, a user has to accept responsibility for pressing the
>>> delete button.  You can't make deleting a process that takes seconds
>>> every time you do it or else the user wont use your program.
>>>
>>> IIRC, there was a study somewhere that indicated that the confirm
delete
>>> file message in Windows was absolutely worthless.  After the first few
>>> times it was viewed, people just clicked OK blindly to remove the modal
>>> popup whether they meant to delete the message or not.  The popup did
>>> nothing to warn them - it was just an annoyance.
>>>
>>> Same here.  The Trash mailbox exists for precisely this purpose
>>> (analogous to the recycle bin on Windows).  Users know to search there
>>> if they accidentally remove something.
>>>
>>> I don't see the need for a modal popup warning in Trash mailbox
either.
>>> If people are individually deleting messages from the Trash, they have
>>> gone out of their way to go into there, select individual messages, and
>>> click Delete.  This is *2* times they have indicated they want to
delete
>>> that message.  If that is not confirmation that they really want the
>>> message deleted, then nothing is. (Again... a modal popup is NOT going
>>> to help here for the same reasons as stated above.)
>>>
>>> Or else you can simply disable deletions in the Trash mailbox and rely
>>> on a logintask/cron job to periodically clean out the trash.  Then
users
>>> could never permanently delete messages on their own.
>>>
>>> michael
>>> --

>> ----- End message from Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> -----
>>
>> I agree with everything.  But, still not clear why a mail should get
>> selected when opened for viewing.  If I get a clarification on this, I
>> can
>> convince my users.  I know, there may be very genuine technical reason
>> behind it, which I am unable to think of.  Please clarify.
>>
>> I know, the efforts which has gone through developing this application
by
>> you is tremendous and it is very easy to question somebody, but when it
>> comes to implementation, there will be some technical constraints.
>>
>> So, just wanted to understand the same, so that, it is easy for me to
>> convince my users, why such behaviour.
>
> Because that's exactly what you want or expect from a mail client. If
> you view a message, then click delete, you want to delete exactly that
> message.
> --
> [...]

----- End message from Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> -----

OK.  I am understanding....But, is the following logic worth implementing?

Option 1: If more than 1 message is selected, clicking on delete should not
delete the message which has also been opened for viewing.  It should
exclude the mail which has been opened for viewing.

Option 2: If only 1 message is selected and irrespective of whether it is
also opened for viewing or not, clicking delete button, should delete that
mail.

Sorry to trouble you with my ideas and it may not be feasible also.  But,
I think, this may solve our users issue of unknowingly deleting the mail
which was basically opened for viewing and not for deleting purpose.
--
           Regards
            Anant