[imp] Imp and password expired message

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Aug 11 18:07:15 UTC 2014

Please don't top-post.

Quoting FABIO FERRARI <fabio.ferrari at unimore.it>:

> The dovecot line is:
>
> Aug 11 08:43:53 auth: Error: pam(valevaly,155.185.44.13): pam_acct_mgmt()
> failed: User account has expired
> Aug 11 08:43:55 auth: Debug: client out: FAIL   1       user=valevaly
> reason=Password expired
>
> as you can see, it is the same as a line printed when the user is
> connecting via client instead of webmail:
>
> Aug 11 08:45:02 auth: Error: pam(valevaly,155.185.166.28): pam_acct_mgmt()
> failed: User account has expired
> Aug 11 08:45:04 auth: Debug: client out: FAIL   1       user=valevaly
> reason=Password expired
>
> Fabio Ferrari
>
>> Quoting FABIO FERRARI <fabio.ferrari at unimore.it>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a problem about the password expiration message.
>>>
>>> I'm using horde/imp in a ldap/dovecot environment. Password expire after
>>> 3
>>> months. I see that ldap passes the message correctly to dovecot, and the
>>> mail clients (ex. thunderbird) show the message correctly.
>>
>> What does the raw IMAP log look like?

No - I need the debug line from the IMAP server.  What dovecot reports
is irrelevant, since IMP interacts to dovecot through the IMAP protocol.

In other words - if Dovecot does not provide any details as to why the
authentication failed via IMAP, there's obviously nothing IMP can
report to the user.

michael