[imp] problem with searches in Horde/IMP webmail

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Tue Jun 25 17:34:05 UTC 2019

David Topping wrote:
> Up until several days ago, the results of a search spanned my entire
> Inbox (or my entire email account when adding "All Mailboxes" in the
> day or two of results, even though there should be MANY older results (I
> have a lot of items in my Inbox). This is happening on all mailboxes
> that I've checked, although in some cases, I'm seeing results going back
> up to 5 days, but that's still only a very small window of what would
> normally be shown

What kind of IMAP server are you accessing through Horde/Imp?  Are you
running the IMAP service or is it a server that someone else operates?
Since this is happening only for some days, I'd think the mail server is
the most probable cause for this, i.e. it may not be returning full
search results.

That is, assuming that you did not update anything Horde related recently.

Since you mentioned that you use Horde/Imp "almost exclusively": did you
check with another email client if searches done there return all emails
that you would expect?  Note however, that when using e.g. Thunderbird,
you may be getting search results generated by the client from the local
search index and not a search result generated by the IMAP server.  When
using the "big" search window in Thunderbird (Ctrl + Shift + F), you can
opt for a server side search.  If that search returns too few results as
well, you can be pretty sure it's an IMAP server thing and not a Horde
thing.

Jens