[imp] Imp search timeout

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Wed Jan 22 09:28:55 UTC 2020

I have a newly installed setup with Horde 5.2.21, working really well,
on CentOS8 with PHP7.4 from Remi. So much faster than the old VM
(CentOS6 with PHP5.6)!

Anyway, only one issue so far - doing Imp Advanced Searches with a
broad search (e.g. Entire Message, all mailboxes, 4 letter string) I
am getting timeouts (backend is off-server to a local Cyrus IMAP
server). A narrower search works fine, so something is timing out.
These searches would work OK on the old server.

Horde logs:
  2020-01-22T18:57:10+10:00 WARN: HORDE [imp] [search] Error when
communicating with the mail server. [pid 4722 on line 730 of
"/var/www/horde/imp/lib/Imap.php"]

I notice that in backends.php there is a timeout option available, but
the documentation indicates that this only applies to the SMTP option.
True enough, having a guess and setting $servers['imap']['timeout'] =
120; doesn't help...

Can anyone point me at where or if I can set a longer IMAP timeout? Or
if there is something else I am missing - a PHP-FPM timeout accessing
IMAP? Php.ini max_execution_time = 30?

Or is this just something I need to improve on the Cyrus box - squatter?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Simon

--