[imp] Imp search timeout

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jan 23 00:20:06 UTC 2020

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> I have a newly installed setup with Horde 5.2.21, working really
> well, on CentOS8 with PHP7.4 from Remi. So much faster than the old
> VM (CentOS6 with PHP5.6)!
>
> Anyway, only one issue so far - doing Imp Advanced Searches with a
> broad search (e.g. Entire Message, all mailboxes, 4 letter string) I
> am getting timeouts (backend is off-server to a local Cyrus IMAP
> server). A narrower search works fine, so something is timing out.
> These searches would work OK on the old server.

Would they be hitting the same cyrus server, and also not running on
the same host?

> Horde logs:
>  2020-01-22T18:57:10+10:00 WARN: HORDE [imp] [search] Error when
> communicating with the mail server. [pid 4722 on line 730 of
> "/var/www/horde/imp/lib/Imap.php"]
>
> I notice that in backends.php there is a timeout option available,
> but the documentation indicates that this only applies to the SMTP
> option. True enough, having a guess and setting
> $servers['imap']['timeout'] = 120; doesn't help...

This would be the correct setting for the timeout, assuming 'imap' is
the correct server stanza for your configuration. FWIW, the
description is listed in the header of the backends.php file, but it's
the very last option, I missed it the first time I looked too ;)

Are you sure the issue was a timeout on the IMAP server?

> Can anyone point me at where or if I can set a longer IMAP timeout?
> Or if there is something else I am missing - a PHP-FPM timeout
> accessing IMAP? Php.ini max_execution_time = 30?

A possibility, sure. How long did the searches take on your old system?

> Or is this just something I need to improve on the Cyrus box - squatter?

> Any ideas would be helpful.

Anything of interest on the cyrus server logs? You can also activate
imap debug logging in backends.php to log the IMAP conversation so we
can see if there is anything weird going on there.