[jonah] locale translations for jonah?

Michael Hoennig michael@hoennig.de
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:02:14 +0200

> Now, the main string that concerns me is the one that displays
> at the top of the Jonah main page that says "29 Channels on
> Jonah" (or however many channels the local server has). =

At least for German, that would actually not be a big deal to let it
almost as it is ;-) For channels of this kind, we use "channel" as well
as a borrowed word. The bigger problem is that you probably cannot let
out the verb as you do in other languages, so you can't really in
German. This gives:

either	"29 Channels verfügbar auf Jonah"
or	"29 Inhaltsformen verfügbar auf Jonah"

The lenght of the texts in various languages is always a problem in
software localization, I know that very well from StarOffice -
especially Finnish was a hassle due to its long terms ;-)

	Michael

--
Boytinstr. 10 - D-22143 Hamburg - Germany ----- http://www.hoennig.de
home:++49 40 67581412 office:++49 40 23646910 mobile:++49 177 3787491