[kronolith] Shared Calendars

Pete Schwamb pete@the-valley.org
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:41:10 -0600

I have a few ideas I'm not sure are part of the plan, so here they are:

1. We'd like to allow users to 'subscribe' to other event lists, such as
holidays, or project schedules, or organization events.  These events
would automatically show up on the users calendar, but not be editable
by them.  The event lists would be managed much like a personal
calendar, by someone authorized to do so.

2. I was thinking to storing these event lists in the same manner as
personal calendar data is stored, i.e., for US Holidays, events would be
stored with calendar_id = usholidays.  This of course brings in possible
name conflicts, but those should be rare, and could be circumvented
easily, I'm sure.  This allows maximum code reuse.  The other option is
to set up some sort of 'event server' (are there protocols for this?)
that the users subscribe to, and the events are managed outside of imp.
 At this point I'm much in favor of the former method, but the latter is
tempting because of its possibility to scale to some sort of 'event
service' that users could subscribe to, such as fan subscribing to a
band's tour schedule, or someone from denver subscribing to a local
events calendar.  Anyone have any ideas about this?  Does this kind of
thing exists?

I've been living with the horde code for a while, tweaking things to my
liking occasionally, and even sloppily hacked in a news app based on
php-nuke.  In short, I know just enough to be dangerous.  I would like
to start working on some of these changes, but would appreciate any
pointers as to how they fit into the grand scheme of things (if there is
such a thing; Chuck, we need an api to your brain ;)  or if anyone has
already started work in this direction, please tell me.

-Pete