[kronolith] parse remote calenders

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:18:22 -0400

> Quoting Cliff Green <green@UMDNJ.EDU>:
>
> > Have you seen the support for remote calendar files being worked on at
> > the mozilla project?  It looks like subscribing to those isn't much
> > different from the way jonah allows one to subscribe to different news
> > channels, using either http:// or ftp://, and it might make building a
> > driver easier (might. might not - I'm not qualified to say), since it
> > looks like the calendar files themselves are vcal/ical format.
> > Unfortunately, when I tried importing their sample US Holidays file into
> > kronolith, (so far) none of the dates show up in my calendar.
>
> Hmmm - any errors? Or just nothing happens?

Interesting.  The event_title, event_start, and event_end for the first item
(New Year's Day) were imported, and the event_id, calendar_id, and
event_modified were all set.

But no more;  the other holidays in the list were silently dropped.

So, is their .ics file formatted "wrong", or does the icalendar driver not
expect more than one event per file?  I tried removing the END:VCALENDAR ...
BEGIN:VCALENDAR lines between events, and seem to have royally screwed my
calendar <g> [I suppose I should be thankful, though - it's filled my calendar
with "*Thanksgiving (American)"].

> I think, because we're a web-based app, we won't be able to get decent
> performance out of subscribing directly to remote calendars. However, we
> could probably use a caching system to do it...
>
> > See:
> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
>
> Cool, thanks for the link - I'll definitely give it a shot.
Glad to oblige.

BTW, I've tried stuffing the invite feature into kronolith's edit.inc in two
styles:  just tacking it on at the bottom, and reformatting the whole screen as
two columns of sections (so it's a little more readable), but it still doesn't
look presentable.

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
Signature under NDA