[kronolith] kron CVS HEAD issues/questions

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 21:47:58 -0400

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> Running CVS HEAD from about a week or so ago.  Having several issues:
>
> 1) Sending iCal invites works great.  But some people are only running
>    Office 98, which supports vCalendar but not iCalendar invitations.
>    Anyone thinking about supporting more formats for invitation *sending*.
>    (Note: it already seems to imports vCal attachments correctly)

I'm not really sure how we should deal with this.  The *content* is the same,
but the salient difference is the MIME type/file extension.  That is, we're not
really using any iCal-specific features, that I can think of.  (Okay, we've
changed the VERSION property to 2.0, but I think that's about it.)   For
example, Palm Desktop also wants vCal attachments, but if you save an iCal
attachment from kronolith, and import it to Palm regardless of the file
extension, it's happy to digest the information and display it properly.

The only thngs that come to mind are unsatisfactory, e.g.:
-send the same attachment twice, once with each mimetype
-have an option for which mimetype you want to send (i.e., your default
 calendar type)

Too bad kronolith doesn't have an ESP module, to sense what kind of client is at
the other end...

Actually, we pack more into an invitation than can actually be used by
kronolith, in order that other calendar clients (like LookOut) will accept them.
 For example, we don't actually use the UID value, even though we calculate a
valid one for an invitation.  Same thing with ORGANIZER;  we should distinguish
between ORGANIZER, OWNER, ATTENDANT, DELEGATE, but don't just yet.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
Signature under NDA