[kronolith] Question regarding sending updates to all attendees when event is copied

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 16 21:11:13 UTC 2015

Quoting Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:

> Hello list,
>
> someone sends an invitation to several attendees and a colleague of
> mine accepts the invitation so that the event is created in his
> calendar. I have read access to my colleagues calendar and want to
> copy that event into my calendar. When I click on "Save as copy"
> (hope this is the original English message on the button) every
> attendee gets an email from me that the event has changed. This is a
> bit annoying (not as much for me as for the other attendees).
>
> When I change an event in my calendar and I have to change something
> I'm asked if every attendee should be informed about my
> modifications. Do I make a mistake when copying the event so that I
> did not see a checkbox that asked me if I wanted to notify the other
> attendees or is this by design? If the latter applies do you think
> it's worth filing an improvement at bugs.horde.org?

I'm not sure if the behavior is actually wrong. Saving an event as a
copy saves the event as a completely new event. If there are attendees
on this new event, then they would get a meeting notice just as if you
just created the event manually. The only part that doesn't sound
right is the part about the notices saying the event was updated, as
opposed to a new one.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is accept/add this event on
your own calendar as if you were one of the original attendees, but
without actually being one.

That being said, I could see adding an extra step when the event being
copied still contains attendees - to verify that you really want to
copy the event with the attendees or not.

--
mike
The Horde Project