[kronolith] Question regarding sending updates to all attendees when event is copied

Jens Grüntjes jens.gruentjes at ebira.de
Tue Nov 17 11:03:02 UTC 2015

Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

> Quoting Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> someone sends an invitation to several attendees and a colleague of
>> mine accepts the invitation so that the event is created in his
>> calendar. I have read access to my colleagues calendar and want to
>> copy that event into my calendar. When I click on "Save as copy"
>> (hope this is the original English message on the button) every
>> attendee gets an email from me that the event has changed. This is
>> a bit annoying (not as much for me as for the other attendees).
>>
>> When I change an event in my calendar and I have to change
>> something I'm asked if every attendee should be informed about my
>> modifications. Do I make a mistake when copying the event so that I
>> did not see a checkbox that asked me if I wanted to notify the
>> other attendees or is this by design? If the latter applies do you
>> think it's worth filing an improvement at bugs.horde.org?
>
> I'm not sure if the behavior is actually wrong. Saving an event as a
> copy saves the event as a completely new event. If there are
> attendees on this new event, then they would get a meeting notice
> just as if you just created the event manually. The only part that
> doesn't sound right is the part about the notices saying the event
> was updated, as opposed to a new one.
To clarify what I said and to prevent you from digging into the Horde
code: One of the attendees sent a mail to me (from Outlook I guess)
which said that I wanted to notify him about the event. After reading
your comment I maybe have to correct my first post where I said that
the event *changed*. At http://picpaste.com/event-4gL9jTtr.png I
uploaded a screenshot from the (Outlook) mail from the attendee.
Unfortunately it's in German. (Literally?) translated the bold line
says: "Jens Grüntjes wants to call your attention to 'Sitzung am …'" I
don't know how Outlook makes a difference between new events and
modified events, but it might be a new event.

> It sounds like what you are trying to do is accept/add this event on
> your own calendar as if you were one of the original attendees, but
> without actually being one.
Yes, that's true. But this also holds if I am an original attendee and
make a copy of an event and put that into a shared calendar.

> That being said, I could see adding an extra step when the event
> being copied still contains attendees - to verify that you really
> want to copy the event with the attendees or not.
Yes, that would be really helpful. Maybe something like the question
that shows up when I modify an event with attendees. Kronolith asks if
I want to send the modifications to all attendees after submitting the
modifications.

Thanks for your help
Jens