[sork] Vacation 2.0 Problems

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:57:30 -0500

Quoting Bryan H <sork@nvethis.d2g.com>:

> smrsh: vacation not available for sendmail programs
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

You configured sendmail to use the smrsh (sendmail restricted shell)
but didn't configure smrsh to allow the vacation program.  From the

>From a recent vacation/docs/INSTALL file:

  If you get a message from sendmail that vacation is 'not available for
  sendmail programs' then you didn't setup smrsh correctly for vacation.

  To fix smrsh problems see the man page for smrsh.  You basically need to
  create a symbolic link from the smrsh directory to the vacation program.
  Your man page will tell you were your smrsh directory is (usually
  /usr/adm/sm.bin, /etc/smrsh, or /var/adm/sm.bin, but may vary).  For example,
  for RedHat Linux, you might need something like:

    % cd /etc/smrsh
    % ln -s /usr/bin/vacation

> Also, it appears that when I set a vacation message, I get the message at the
> top saying that the message has been set, but when I return to either change
> or remove it, it's as if it was never set; the default message is displayed.

Correct.  I'm in the process of changing this, but current versions always
display the default message.

> I'm
> not sure if that is the functionality of the program or if it is not working
> correctly?

Limited functionality, which I'm working on changing (for example, the forwards
module already puts the current value in the field if possible, and I'd
like to do the same for vacation someday if possible).

> I browsed in a terminal to /usr/local/bin and there was nothing in there, for
> vacation or anything.  It was empty.  Could this be a problem why it is not
> working?

Yes, and no.  You have to configure vacation to point to the correct
vacation program binary. But you will also need to configure smrsh for
the same binary.

> // We need to know where to find the vacation program on your system
>
> $conf['vacation']['path'] = '/usr/local/bin/vacation';

If there is nothing in /usr/local/bin, then this line can not be correct.
It has to be set to the path to your vacation program.

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage