[sork] Re: [imp] changing the contents on how vacation returns emails

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 14 11:43:22 PST 2003

Quoting Dennis Ortsen <Dennis at Pinetree.nl>:

> Hi everyone,

Hi.  This is probably more appropriate for the sork list.

> Is there a way to change the contents of the email that vacation returns?

Content, yes. Headers, some but not all.

> By default, it's not possible to reply to that mail sent by vacation,

It should be.  I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to.

> and
> there's some ugly header information in the body of the email that was sent
> by vacation:

This is probably due to a known condition in some vacation programs.  The
sork vacation module usually ends up putting hard MS carriage returns (^M)
characters in the vacation message.  Most vacation programs ignore them.
Some don't.  Those that don't cause a problem when you specify the Subject
header, in that all headers that normally follow the Subject header then
become part of the message rather than the headers.

> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:10:25 +0100 (CET)
> From: user at my.domain
> I'm on vacation and will not be reading my mail for a while. Your mail will
> be dealt with when I return.
>
> Is there a possibility to remove the first four lines from the email body?

A long time ago we posted a "work around" to remove the ^M characters, which
should fix the above if applied.  Search the sork list archives, and if you
can't find it, try the IMP list archives.  If I have time, I'll locate the
fix and send it to you, but I'm not sure I'll have time right now.

> And about not being able to reply, I can imagine that this behaviour is "by
> design". But can someone tell me more on this subject?

I have no idea why you can't reply, you should definately be able to reply
to it.  Why/How doesn't it work for you?