[sork] Confused about the proper order of things when using passwd

David Mandala davidm at them.com
Mon Mar 10 18:58:16 PST 2003

Hi All,

Over the last 3 days I've installed the latest horde, imp, turba and
passwd. Everything seems to be working correctly, mail and address books
are working as expected. I am able to change my password but there is
one thing that bugs me.

When I go into passwd it presents me with a form to fill out which
includes:
Username: (already filled out with my username)
Old Password:
New Password:
Confirm new Password:
And approprate buttons to submit the form.

Here comes the part I'm not sure of and it's bugging me:

When I click "Change your password" to submit the form (with it filled
out correctly) it then pops up a box that says:

Select User
And the caption in the box that says:
Select the user whose password is being changed.
and there is a list of names most of the time that includes my user name
but at least once it did not and many times list it twice!

mail.westusa.com:davidm
mail.westusa.com:localhost
mail.westusa.com:davidm

If I select one of my user name entries and click OK my password gets
changed correctly.

Seems to me that this is an incorrect process, because:
1) It already has my username
2) Many times my user name is listed twice
3) At least once it did not have my username at all
4) There is no localhost userid on the system. and when my userid is
listed twice the localhost user is always in the middle.

Any suggestions would be great, either something to RTFM or some
debugging hints.

Everything else seems to be working correctly, this was the last module
to be installed and while it is working, I somehow don't think it is
working correctly at the current time.

Thanks in advance.

David Mandala

--
David IS Mandala
gpg fingerprint 8932 E7EF CCF5 1B8C 1B5C A92E C678 795E 45B2 D952