[sork] (no subject)

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 7 12:13:40 PDT 2003

Quoting Fisayo Adeleke <fisayo at steineng.com>:

> feature, when i try to change any password, it keeps bringing the error
> message "Failure in changing password : Incorect Password"

The passwd modules says that because your poppassd server is saying that.

> and /var/log/messages also reads "Jul  7 19:09:24 localhost poppassd[7442]:
> old password is incorrect for user fisayo"

Well, find out why your poppassd server thinks it is wrong.

> However, I am very sure the old password i typed is right/correct as I
> verified this over and over again but with the same error.

Some common reasons are:

1) You need to pass the real with the username but are not (or vise versa)
2) You have a problem with your poppassd interface to PAM or the system
3) You have some special characters in the password which are foobaring
   something (whitespace, backslashes, non-printables, etc)

> I use vchkpw for my pop3 service and poppassd for the change password server.

This appears to be a poppassd problem, so you should debug it there first.