[sork] vacation, xml-config and realm

Martin Luethi horde at humbapa.ch
Tue Jan 27 05:13:45 PST 2004

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:31:31 +0100 Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

>> the sork-modules use different "config-styles"
>> accounts: conf.xml without realm or preferred
>> forwards: conf.xml with realms
>> passwd: backends.php with preferred
>
> This (backends.php) is the preferred one, because this is how all other
> Horde applications work that support different backends.

why does only passwd use a backends.php?
what is the criteria for using a backends.php or just conf.xml?

>> vacation: conf.xml with realms
>>
>> I am not sure I get this right, please correct me if not:
>> realms: the "server" selection is based on the username (user at realm)
>> preferred: the selection is based on the server-hostname ($_SERVER
>> ['SERVER_NAME'] or $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'])
>>
>> so we have 2 possibilities to choose a "server". because there are
>> also other
>> horde-modules who need "server-selection" it would be nice to include that
>> somewhere in the horde-framework. with that, the "server-selection" would be
>> the same for each module who use conf.xml. (I think it should be
>> somewhere in
>> horde/lib/Horde.php)
>>
>> but I have no idea if this is possible or not (I'm new to
>> horde-development...)
>
> There is not much code necessary to switch between backends, so there is no
> need to put this into the general framework. Beside that, if you leave it
> in the configuration file, admins can do much fancier backend selection
> based on their own criterias.

I don't understand why several horde-modules split the config-part in
different files. wouldn't it be better to have only one file and make all
the configuration stuff via the horde->administration->configuration interface?
or just add a backend-config section to this interface?

I just think it's a bit confusing to configure some parts here and the other
parts there.

>> maybe it would be easier to just add my vacation-patch :-)
>
> Easier, yes, perhaps. Clean or correct, no.

is there something else I can do to have my vacation-setup working again with
the new xml-config?

thanks & g. tinu

PS: I'm sorry about asking you so many questions. would it be better to ask
    this kind of questions in horde-dev?