[sork] general problem Vacation & Forward

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 20 12:49:17 PDT 2004

Quoting augustin siaens <augustin.siaens at aquadev.org>:

> Horde, IMP are OK as well as the password application. But Forward and
> Vacation apps don't work at all.

That seems like an overstatement of the facts.

> The error message I receive when trying
> to create a vacation message is
> "Failure in modifying vacation notice: Could not set forwarding!"

Check your log files to see if you can find out why it failed.

> My vacation installation seems to be OK.

Yes, basically.

> How to debug this? The error message is not very exhaustive... There is
> a valid connection established with my FTP server so It shoudl work damnit!

Well, could go wrong for various reasons.  Check your system logs, your ftp
logs, etc.  Sounds like it makes the connection to the ftp server, so it is
failing somewhere after that.  I *think* it depends on your ftp server to chdir
to the users home directory at login; if your ftp server doesn't do this it
may fail.  Some versions also depend on your ftp server (or user account) to
chmod the files correctly, so it could be a permissions problem, etc.

Can you get a directory listing of the account and see what, if any, files
it creates (and any permissions/ownership on them, etc).