[sork] again horde 3 and passwd => mysql failed to connect

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 25 13:59:06 PDT 2005

Quoting Maximilian Ebert <max.ebert at titoly.de>:

> i posted this question to this 1 month before but perhaps now
> somebody has an answer for me. today i got the passwd h3 beta file

It is very hard to remotely diagnose these kinds of things.  You need
to provide complete details of what you've done to debug it, and how
you configured your backend, to have any hope that anyone could help.

> and i configed the backends.php. i added username and password for
> the vpopmail mysql thing but if i want to change the password horde
> tells me that he cant get a connection to the mysql server. but why?

Could be just about anything.  You might have configured the backend
wrong.  Or mysql isn't running.  Or mysql isn't listening on tcp (using
unix sockets) and you configured sork for tcp, or vise-vera.  Or it
is listen on a different port than you configured.  Or your firewall
is blocking it.  Or it is listening on a different IP address than you
configured.  Or tcp_wrappers is blocking it.  Or your mysql security setup
blocks the connection.  Or your mysql security setup blocks the login.
Or you're trying to connect (e.g. configured) the wrong DB name, or
some other DB attribute.  Or any number of other things.

> there in nothing in the error log or somewhere else in mysql. even if
> i log everything mysql doesent get any query from the horde tool for
> the vpopmail database.

You need to verify you can connect by hand somehow, or use a network sniffer
to sniff the network traffic when passwd tries to connect, or make sure your
system logs or Horde logs or php logs are not showing an error.

> hope anybody can help me becaus changing the password would be very
> nice.

Again, it is really hard for someone else to remotely debug these types of
things with little or no info about your setup.  You really need to do the
brunt of the work yourself, and only ask for specific advice here...

Start by posting your configuration and what you've tried so far. Then people
can perhaps give you a "next step to try", which you would need to try and
report back, and so on until we hopefully get it resolved.  It could take
quite a while.

Or, maybe you can hire a Horde Consultant to work on this for you?

Not many people use vpopmail, so there are not a lot (if any) experts here
to help you with vpopmail specific knowledge.  So, you will need to be
patient and persistent if you want/need help.