[sork] Vacation and Forwards on virtual users/domains server

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:10:46 UTC 2009

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at dada.net>:

> 5   Known Problems
>
> 5.1   FTP/Dot-forward Driver

This only applies to the ftp/dot-forward driver.  Presumably if you
are using virtual users, you use some other driver (ldap, sql, etc).

> Virtual users do not have an account.  So where would this .forward
> file be placed/found/located?

You would not use that driver, but instead one of the others.  This
would imply your mail system has a vacation mechanism built in for
some mechanism (sql or ldap based for example).

> Perhaps a more fitting response would be a 4 line item on the
> approach to take when using virtual users (after-all, in most cases
> authentication is already done against the IMAP server).

Figure out which mail system you use.  Figure out if it supports
forwards and vacation notices.  If it does, figure out how it stores
the configuration data (sql, ldap, files, etc).  From that information
you can either pick an existing driver, or create a new one.

> If you or any other person has done a setup with virtual users, I
> would love to follow the logic.

Many have.  Some use ldap, some use sql, etc.  We have no idea what, if
any, method your system supports, so we can't say which you should use.

> SPB

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.