[sync] Question on LDAP Address Book Sources

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Sun Apr 1 15:11:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Apr 1, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Karsten Fourmont wrote:

> I made some changes to Turba that should help in getting Sync over
> LDAP
> started.
> Syncing is currently always done against the default address book
> specified in Turba/Options/Address Books. Set this to your LDAP source
> and give it a try (after upgrading turba to cvs head).
>
> I'm curious about any feedback.
I just updated to the latest CVS head this morning.  I'm using LDAP
as my default (and sole) address book source, so I've been able to
sync previously.  For what it's worth, it still works :).

One behavior I've noticed that seems somewhat specific to SyncML +
LDAP is, when syncing Contacts, the First Name field doesn't seem to
be properly handled.  By default, Turba does not list a First Name
field for LDAP sources.  I added one (using gn or givenName) and now
I can set that information in Turba.  However when syncing the data
for a new user from my Treo, the only name fields populated are the
Last name and (full) Name fields.  The (full) Name is properly
populated in the "Last, First" form, but the FIrst Name field is left
empty.  I wanted to try to remove the (full) Name field to see if
that changed the SyncML behavior, but unfortunately the LDAP driver
uses that as the key to store address book entries.  I haven't spent
much time reading through the SyncML code yet, but I thought I'd
bring this to you since I did notice it.

Most of the other data for contacts seems to sync correctly.
--
Ben Klang
Alkaloid Networks
ben at alkaloid.net