[sync] Multi device activesync in practice

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jun 27 16:32:17 UTC 2013

Quoting Chris Smith <CSmith at mbasys.co.uk>:

> Hi All!
>

> I can't believe the effort, thank you all so much!! Nearly a year after
> my first attempt, now activesync runs (nearly) perfectly on all my
> devices (Android, iOS, BB). Thanks again J
>

> I have noticed a few differences between my expectations/hopes/dreams
> and the actual synchronisation of the devices, I wondered if anyone
> please had any suggestions/thoughts?
>

> 1.	All devices: Mail from the same domain, or the domain of any
> "identities" does not get synced to the device.
> 	E.g: user1 at doma.in receives mail from user2 at doma.in. IMP shows
> the mail but devices do not.
> 	Is this by design? I've had a brief look over
> /usr/share/php/Horde and within ~/lib but initially found nothing
> obvious.

If the email is in the INBOX (or any mailbox being pushed), of user1,
then it should be synched. The actual To: header does not make a
difference.

> 2.	Marking a message as read though mail client/IMP will always
> cause the next email sync to fail (perhaps more accurately, return 0
> changes to the device). Even if there are other unread messages received
> by the MDA since the last sync. I'd hope that, regardless of the state
> of the mailbox(es), mail would always be sent to the device.

I don't see this. Depending on the capabilities of your IMAP server,
when a message is marked as seen by another IMAP client, it may or may
not immediately be detected by ActiveSync. If your IMAP server
supports per-mailbox MODSEQ then it will be, if not, changes will not
be detected until the UIDNEXT value increases on the mailbox (in
otherwords, a new mail has arrived since the last sync). I can verify
both of these scenarios work correctly.

> 3.	Samsung Galaxy S2: Mail delivered to both the inbox and a
> subfolder (same message, same time) is duplicated on the device. The
> INBOX copy shows up once (clear when you mark the message as read), but
> the subfolder copy shows up 3 times (again, clear when you mark the
> message as read).

I'd need to see a synclog to determine if this is a server or client issue.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org