[sync] Contact list syncing problems

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 06:19:59 UTC 2014

Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> The fact that 70 bytes are being sent tells me it's likely more
>> than a single email address though, so maybe this is a client
>> issue? If you can't get the logging to work, you can try
>> wiretracing it to see the data.
>
> I've tried the stock email app on my mobile device (a Samsung Note
> 3) and something interesting happened:
> The distribution list was picked up through the GAL search but it
> returned this:
> myList <test.user1 at mydomain.com, test.user2 at mydomain.com>,
>
> Which looks to me like it's missing a '>' and a '<' at the end and
> beginning of the email addresses.
>
> It also made the To: field red with an exclamation mark and an error message.
>
> The email app I use (Nine) just showed the distribution list as
> pink, which I thought may be an error but there's lots of different
> colours in Nine so I wasn't aware of it.
>
> So, now it looks like my LDAP Turba entries aren't correct, except
> that IMP works fine with them?

No, it's not your LDAP entries.

There are a couple of things going on. First, we were returning a
comma delimited email list. Some clients were ok with that, while
others tried to parse it into a single email address, and would either
fail completely or would only include the first email.

Secondly, while trying to correct the first point by using the RFC
5322 standard "group" syntax, I discovered that clients also had
trouble with this form as well. For example, iOS will complain that it
doesn't "look like" an email address, but will still let you send the
email. Nine, on the other hand will flat out refuse to send the email.
While stock Android seems to only include the first email.

I'm not really sure what to do about this. I leaning towards
implementing the correct RFC 5322 way of representing the group and
let the client developers worry about fixing their end. At the very
least, things will not work just as much either way. I have access to
a real exchange server VM for testing, so maybe if I find the time
I'll set up a GAL and see how these clients (mis)behave against
Exchange and at least try to match that.

--
mike
The Horde Project