[sync] Contact list syncing problems

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 13:37:15 UTC 2014

Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>> I'm not really sure what to do about this. I leaning towards
>> implementing the correct RFC 5322 way of representing the group and
>> let the client developers worry about fixing their end. At the very
>> least, things will not work just as much either way. I have access
>> to a real exchange server VM for testing, so maybe if I find the
>> time I'll set up a GAL and see how these clients (mis)behave
>> against Exchange and at least try to match that.
>
> Following the RFC is the right thing to do, however I don't see
> Apple making their mail client adopt it.

Ironically, iOS handles this the best. It warns that it doesn't "look"
like a valid email address, but lets you send the email anyway - and
it sends successfully. The other clients don't parse the group
correctly and end up either failing completely, or sending the email,
but only to the first email address. Go figure.

> Copying the M$ way is probably the way to go as that is what should
> work on the majority of devices.

Heh. As an aside, I've found that this is rarely the case :)

> I still have my exchange server running and am happy to help. I've
> got Wireshark installed on the exchange server and I think I've got
> the private keys added to it correctly but I'm not quite there yet
> in extracting an ActiveSync conversation from it. I'll keep trying
> though as I like learning more about Wireshark.

That would be great, thanks.