[sync] Contact list syncing problems

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 20:42:58 UTC 2014

Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>> I'm not really sure what to do about this. I leaning towards
>> implementing the correct RFC 5322 way of representing the group and
>> let the client developers worry about fixing their end. At the very
>> least, things will not work just as much either way. I have access
>> to a real exchange server VM for testing, so maybe if I find the
>> time I'll set up a GAL and see how these clients (mis)behave
>> against Exchange and at least try to match that.
>
> Following the RFC is the right thing to do, however I don't see
> Apple making their mail client adopt it. Copying the M$ way is
> probably the way to go as that is what should work on the majority
> of devices.
>
> I still have my exchange server running and am happy to help. I've
> got Wireshark installed on the exchange server and I think I've got
> the private keys added to it correctly but I'm not quite there yet
> in extracting an ActiveSync conversation from it. I'll keep trying
> though as I like learning more about Wireshark.

I managed to set up the test Exchange VM. Exchange actually creates a
new SMTP email address for the distribution group, so the only email
returned when searching by the group name is the single email address.
E.g., a distribution list named 'Managers' will return an email
address of 'managers at sub.domain.com' or whatever alias you setup the
group to have. That's why it works so well against Exchange. This
isn't something we can do using only the contacts API, so we will have
to live without this functionality for those clients that can't
recoginze the RFC 5322 group syntax.

--
mike
The Horde Project