[sync] Contact list syncing problems

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 21:29:00 UTC 2014

> Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:
>
>> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>> I'm not really sure what to do about this. I leaning towards
>>> implementing the correct RFC 5322 way of representing the group
>>> and let the client developers worry about fixing their end. At the
>>> very least, things will not work just as much either way. I have
>>> access to a real exchange server VM for testing, so maybe if I
>>> find the time I'll set up a GAL and see how these clients
>>> (mis)behave against Exchange and at least try to match that.
>>
>> Following the RFC is the right thing to do, however I don't see
>> Apple making their mail client adopt it. Copying the M$ way is
>> probably the way to go as that is what should work on the majority
>> of devices.
>>
>> I still have my exchange server running and am happy to help. I've
>> got Wireshark installed on the exchange server and I think I've got
>> the private keys added to it correctly but I'm not quite there yet
>> in extracting an ActiveSync conversation from it. I'll keep trying
>> though as I like learning more about Wireshark.
>
> I managed to set up the test Exchange VM. Exchange actually creates
> a new SMTP email address for the distribution group, so the only
> email returned when searching by the group name is the single email
> address. E.g., a distribution list named 'Managers' will return an
> email address of 'managers at sub.domain.com' or whatever alias you
> setup the group to have. That's why it works so well against
> Exchange. This isn't something we can do using only the contacts
> API, so we will have to live without this functionality for those
> clients that can't recoginze the RFC 5322 group syntax.

I went ahead and just prevented groups from being returned, period.
All of the options to try to work around the protocol are just too
risky - it's very likely that a user would think an email was sent to
dozens of people in a distribution list when in reality it was only
sent to the first person in the list with the rest silently ignored.

--
mike
The Horde Project