[turba] Moving from old webemail to turba addressbooks

Thu Oct 24 03:30:28 2002

> We are replacing our old IMP version 2.2.7 with version 3.1 + turba.
> Lots of the users of this service have address book entries, and I
> was wondering
> about how I should move these address book entries into turba.

There are scripts provided with turba to migrate the databases from IMP 2.2.x
to Horde 2.x and Turba 1.x.  These scripts may need to be modifed by the
user for things like database used, etc.

>  I found a method for moving the addresses in SQL :
>
>  insert turba_objects (object_id, owner_id, object_name, object_alias,
> object_email) select MD5(RAND()) as object_id,
> REPLACE(user,'@localhost','') as owner_id, fullname, nickname, address
> from imp_addr;

That may work.  But I'd use the scripts provided...

> It appears from the SQL command that I found, that the user's imap
> server will get
> split out in the transition, and could lead to the possibility that a
> users address
> book in Turba will be viewable/editable by multiple accounts (which may
> not be the same person).

Then modify it not to split out the realm.

> Are my fears justified?

Yes.

>  How should I be handling the use of Turba with multiple
> imap servers?

Use realm support in IMP and your horde authentication, and keep the realm
info when you migrate the database.

> Ie, without moving over the old addresses, are users of the new
> IMP/Turba setup going to suffer username conflicts?

There is support for multiple domains.  Just be sure to configure it
properly.

>  Note:// we have horde/imp configured such that IMP can handle the login
> into horde.

Just make sure you setup realms right in IMP, and import the IMP 2.x
stuff into Horde/IMP/Turba with the realm info intact (or added, if need
be).

The question is a little vague to provide concrete help at this time.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!