[turba] name sorting

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Apr 27 18:41:12 UTC 2008

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at umich.edu>:

> Which would leave you displaying Name, Firstname, Lastname?  Kinda clunky.

Yes, one of the many reasons there's the intention to get rid of the
Name requirement (the main roadblock to which is that we have to have
_some_ field that's linkable to the contact view, or to add a separate
view column/link. Ideas?).

> If the mandatory displaying of the Name field is replaced with
> separate Firstname and Lastname fields..
> - is the "name format" pref obsolete?
> - what do you do when a datasource only has a name field instead of
> distinct first and lastname fields?  Show "name", or somehow split
> name into separate components (maybe using the logic used to figure
> out the components for the "name format" pref)?

I'd assume we do exactly what we do now, which would imply that
name_format isn't obsolete.

>> To choose a secondary sort field, you click the small triangle instead
>> of the column name. Ideas on how to make this clearer are welcome -
>> the tooltip is pretty good though.
>
> I'd never noticed that before.  It would be good if it could somehow
> be made more obvious.  I'll see if our UI guy has any suggestions.

I'd love to hear them. :) Maybe a writeup in the help docs would be a start?

-chuck