[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Sep 1 21:59:26 UTC 2009

  here's what appears to be the next phase in my upgrade, and i think
it's finally coming together for me.

  i can see the script scripts/sql/turba.sql, whose purpose it is to
both create a new addressbook table ("turba_objects"), plus the
(single, addressbook-independent) shares tables.  so since i already
have some addressbooks that i want to hook in, i figure my next
step(s) would be to do the following.

  first, i could run the second half of that script -- the part
involving only the turba_shares* stuff.  that would only have to be
run once, and is independent of whether there are any addressbooks
configured yet.  and i could run that regardless of whether i want to
use shares later or not.  (i could create the mysql turba_shares stuff
even without any addressbooks set up, right?  i might need to
additionally configure it later but, based on my reading of that
script, i could certainly do the creation right this instant.)

  also, since i have four addressbooks already, i certainly don't need
to run the *first* half of that script but i might have to run, for
each addressbook, just the part for creating the indexes for each
book, if those don't exist already.

  note that none of the above does anything about adding those books
into sources.php.  that would come next, yes?  all i would have done
would be to set up the mysql addressbook tables plus the shares
tables.  does that make sense?

  off for burgers and beer.

rday