[turba] Last name prefixes

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Sep 29 21:47:00 UTC 2010

Zitat von Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.nl>:

>> This is probably going to complicate the name building even more.
>
> This was not something I had considered, but I can imagine that
> would be correct.
>
>> Beside that, there is no counterpart in any address book software
>> or contact data format I know, that uses separate name parts for
>> those.
>
> That's a lame excuse. Just because other address books don't support
> this format doesn't mean that Turba shouldn't. There's nothing wrong
> with being "Euro-friendly" in this respect.

That shouldn't be an excuse, that's a very concrete issue when it
comes to interchanging/synchronizing/importing/exporting contacts.

>> We don't sort those names differently than other in Germany either.
>> So I see how this could be useful for some, but I'm not sure if
>> it's worth the hassle, and if wouldn't maybe cause more problems
>> than it solves.
>
> Well, I'll bet that it would appear innovative!

It might actually already be possible. As you can see in
config/sources.php, the 'name' attribute is already a composite field,
so you can add just another name part field into the 'fields',
'format' and 'parse' properties. This will even be included in FN
property of exported vCards then. You will only lose it with the N
property in vCards, but like explained above, this not supposed to be
part of any contact data format anyway.

You *may* even be able to circumvent that by making the 'lastname'
attribute a composite field too. I never tried nesting composite
fields, but I wouldn't be surprised if Turba works fine with that.

If you get it working, it would make a great contribution to the Horde Wiki.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/