[turba] Value of $conf['client']['addressbook'] in configuration

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Aug 23 05:25:43 UTC 2011

Quoting Andreas Ntaflos <daff at pseudoterminal.org>:

> Hi list,
>
> What exactly is "Name of client addressbook"
> ($conf[client][addressbook]) supposed to set or be? I have the default
> backend address book sources enabled ("localsql", nothing else), a
> backends.local.php does not exist. Using Horde 4.0.8 and Turba 3.0.5.
>
> The configuration menu for "Name of client addressbook" gives me the
> choice of "None" and "Address book of Andreas Ntaflos", the latter
> referring to the full name of user I am logged in with, who has admin
> privileges (i.e. me).
>
> Generating this configuration then results in an entry like the
> following in turba/config/conf.php:
>
> $conf['client']['addressbook'] = 'XcjsJUsAce1N99g83F_B4RA';
>
> The value "XcjsJUsAce1N99g83F_B4RA" here is the value of the
> "share_name" column of "turba_sharesng" database table with
> "share_owner" being the user I am currently logged in with (me).
>
> So, why does the global Turba configuration set the value of
> $conf['client']['addressbook'] to something so specific as the name of a
> share object of one particular user?

The way you configured it there is no alternative as there are no
other addressbooks.

Turba is rather flexible however and you can of course have shared
addressbooks that are not tied to a specific user. A very common
example is a global addressbook stored in LDAP. Other backends should
allow similar things.

At the moment you just have the SQL backend and that one ties
addressbooks to specific users. Even there you could create a new user
you declare as "special" (in the sense that its sole purpose is to
provide the client addressbook and never gets deleted). For that one
you delete the default addressbook and create a new one called
"Clients" which you then share as you see fit.

> That doesn't really make sense to
> me, what if the user or the share ever get deleted?
>
> Please enlighten me.

Hope my answer helped. Feel free to ask for further details.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Core Developer