[turba] Multiple E-mail Addresses

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Mar 13 01:05:45 UTC 2017

Quoting Ian Turner <vectro at vectro.org>:

> Hi Michael, thanks for the quick reply.
>
> On 03/12/2017 06:47 PM, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>> This answer depends on how you want them configured.
> Based on the seeming popularity of this question, is it worth setting up
> a reasonable default to allow multiple addresses per contact?
>> If you want a single field capable of handling multiple addresses, you
>> need to add the 'emails' attribute to the localsql configuration, and
>> add the object_emails (or whatever you want to call it) row to the
>> turba_objects table.
> If I go this path, what is the correct type to use for the new column?
> Just varchar?

If the varchar size limit is high enough on your RDBMS, then that
would be fine. Otherwise, a 'text' type of field would work as well.

>> Be warned, however, that this type of field will cause problems with
>> protocols like ActiveSync.
> Are you sure? This patch
> <https://github.com/horde/horde/commit/3530a41e84bcd7616c5f52e14b1b8250a7c97184#diff-8c4998c505940c73677670c7bdb01b6a>
> seems specifically oriented to make the emails field work with ActiveSync.

Huh. Haven't noticed that before :)

It's a workaround that maps *up to* 3 email addresses into the
ActiveSync Email fields. If you enter more than 3 email addresses into
the Turba UI, and then edit the contact on an ActiveSync client, this
will cause the loss of the email addresses over 3 when it syncs back
to Horde.

For best ActiveSync compatibility of multiple email addresses, it's
best to use the 'email', 'workEmail', and 'homeEmail' fields.

--
mike
The Horde Project