[turba] Each of my address items exists twice

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Feb 9 20:21:28 UTC 2018

Zitat von Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca>:

> On 02/09/2018 12:22 PM, Ferdinand Gruber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the database table turba_objects I can see, that each
>> addressbook-record exists twice with different object_uid.
>> One object_id is longer and has the a date at the beginning and the
>> hostname of my horde server at the end.
>>
>> For example the entries look like this
>>
>>    20171119124901.L87sUUwJSnYyh2asa0stzVZ at t1234.greatnet.de
>>    cfce6ed1-48b4-42a7-86b5-629b434adec7
>>
>> I suppose this to be the result of some sync operations.
>> I use to synchronize the horde addressbook with Thunderbird
>> (ActiveSync) and also with my smartphone using a calDAV/cardDAV app.
>>
>> Can I savely delete one of each double entries? What entry should
>> be deleted, the first or the second?
>>
>> Thank you for answer.
>>

> Not a concrete answer, but to test just make a backup of both
> records in turba_objects and delete them one at a time to see what
> happens.
>
> Our database has mostly the long form for object_uid with only 12 of
> 185759 records having a real short form such as 0bdfb0ab85
>
> So my guess is you want to keep the long ones but there might be
> some reason for the shorter ones that I am not aware of.

The length of the UID really doesn't matter. As you guessed correctly,
those are simply from different client. There is no "correct" one.
The question rather is, do you see each of those contact pairs both on
all clients? Or do they only have one each? If something broke during
synchronization, deleting one may remove it completely from one of
your clients.
You shouldn't work directly in the database anyway. Instead, use the
"Find duplicates" feature of Turba to merge those contacts, so that
clients are properly notified about changes and deletions and re-sync
correctly.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project